Residential Assistance for Families in Transition (RAFT) is a program funded by the Massachusetts Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD), which has established the eligibiltiy criteria and program requirements. RAFT is a prevention program designed to help families facing a housing crisis get back on their feet. The goal is to stabilize at-risk families before they enter the emergency shelter system.
To better understand the importance of the program, please read the survey RAFT in Massachusetts 2015-2016, written by Regional Housing Network of Massachusetts. And to see how the program impacted Franklin County please see the RAFT Report in Franklin County.
**If you need assistance and live in Franklin County please fill out the above HCEC Intake Form **
A RAFT representative will administer a pre-screen to help determine eligibility.
Criteria for eligibility include:
- Meet the RAFT program definition of a family, which is:
- Two or more people living together, one of whom is a dependent child under the age of 21 living with you at least 51% of the time, or
- A single pregnant head of household (will be considered a two-person household for income eligibility purposes)
- As of 2/5/18 Households without children can apply for RAFT (expanded definition includes individuals, households without dependants or elders)
- Must meet RAFT program income guidelines (see below)
- Must be experiencing a housing crisis
RAFT Income Eligibility (Effective 7/1/2019)
ANNUAL GROSS INCOME 1 $31,050 2 $35,500 3 $39,950 4 $44,350 5 $47,900 6 $51,450
Once you have submitted an HCEC Intake Form, HRA's RAFT Administrator will contact you to determine your eligibility and then either make other referrals or walk you through the next steps in the RAFT process. If you are eligible and we have funding, the administrator will send you the RAFT application and instructions, including the required documentation. Appointments can be made to process your RAFT application once you have completed the application and have all of the required documentation.